March 1- 10, 2014
During the next 10 days, Central Subway work will continue at sites in SoMa, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This section contains brief updates about what is happening in each neighborhood. For more detailed information, scroll down or click on the links below. We also post construction, traffic detour and Muni impact information on our project Google Map.
Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): Potholing for utilities will continue next week on 4th Street between Bryant and King. A temporary walkway is in place around the construction zone. At the tunnel launch box on 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant, tunneling continues with both TBMs.
Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): On 4th between Market and Stevenson and 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, ground improvement work is now complete. We have begun to restore the roadway. At 4th and Folsom, work to prepare for the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station continues. This may include excavating a high-pressure water line at 4th and Folsom at night, as well as demolishing the roadway within the construction zone to prepare to construct underground station walls. This work will be noisy.
Union Square: Stockton Street between Ellis and Geary is closed to vehicular traffic to allow for construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station. Work is underway to construct shallow underground walls in preparation for the station construction.
Chinatown: Work to prepare for the Chinatown Station continues within the future station site and on the adjacent section of Washington Street. The contractor will start station wall construction.
North Beach: Work will continue at 1455 Stockton and 1731-1741 Powell. At 1731-1741 Powell, construction may be in progress on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Utility and roadway restoration will occur in the coming weeks.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team
Powell Street from Union to Columbus
On private property at 1731-1741 Powell Street, the contractor is building a walled excavation known as a retrieval shaft at the site where tunneling will end. The two tunnel boring machines will be removed from the ground here. We plan to complete work at this location in 2014.
On private property at 1455 Stockton Street, the contractor is constructing an underground shaft to perform ground improvements when the TBMs pass below Columbus Avenue.
On Columbus Avenue near the intersection with Union Street, No construction planned.
Planned construction (1731-1741 Powell):
- Perform ground improvements
- Excavate retrieval shaft and install bracing
- Construction hours are Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- This Saturday, March. 1, construction will be in progress from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Several parking spaces may be closed in front of the property.
- The sidewalk in front of the property may be closed. A temporary walkway will be in place around the construction zone when the sidewalk is closed.
- Install ground improvement components within the shaft
- Work hours are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- No impacts to traffic, transit or pedestrian walkways are anticipated
- The parking lot at 1455 Stockton will remain closed
- Utility and roadway restoration in the next few weeks
- More details will follow shortly