January 4-13, 2014
During the next 10 days, Central Subway work will continue at sites in SoMa, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This section contains brief updates about what is happening in each neighborhood. For more detailed information, scroll down or click on the links below. .
Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): We expect to begin potholing for utilities on 4th Street between Bryant and King in mid-January. At the tunnel launch box on 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant, tunneling continues with both TBMs.
Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): We plan to begin restoring 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison during the next two weeks. Until then, the traffic pattern may change to allow for underground sewer surveys. At 4th and Folsom, work to prepare for the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station continues. Work may include demolishing the roadway within the construction zone to prepare to construct underground station walls.
Union Square: Next week, Stockton Street between Ellis and Geary will be closed to vehicular traffic to allow for construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station. The construction zone on Ellis Street will remain in place.
Chinatown: Work to prepare for the Chinatown Station continues within the future station site and on the adjacent section of Washington Street. On Jackson Street adjacent to Stockton Street, the contractor may be performing underground borings some nights next week.
North Beach: Work on Columbus Avenue at Union Street may resume next week. Work will continue at 1455 Stockton and 1731-1741 Powell, within the property lines.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team
Powell Street from Union to Columbus
On private property at 1731-1741 Powell Street, the contractor is building a walled excavation known as a retrieval shaft at the site where tunneling will end. The two tunnel boring machines will be removed from the ground here. We plan to complete work at this location in 2014.
Near the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Union Street, construction may resume next week. The contractor is completing utility work. More information is available in this flier.
On private property at 1455 Stockton Street, the contractor is constructing an underground shaft to perform ground improvements when the TBMs pass below Columbus Avenue.
Planned construction (Pagoda):
- Install pipes underground for ground improvements
- Planned construction hours are Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (Pagoda):
- Several parking spaces may be closed in front of the property.
- The sidewalk in front of the property may be closed. A temporary walkway will be in place around the construction zone when the sidewalk is closed.
Planned construction (Columbus and Union):
- The contractor may resume improving sewer lines the week of Jan. 6
- Construction hours are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (Columbus and Union):
- On Columbus between Union and Filbert, the left lane for northbound traffic will be closed during construction hours
- The northbound bus stop on Columbus at Union will remain open, but it will be temporarily relocated about 100 feet to the north during construction hours.
- Tentative: Parking restrictions may be in effect on the south side of Filbert Street between Powell and Stockton. The contractor may use this as a staging area for sewer slip lining work.
Planned construction (1455 Stockton):
- Install ground improvement components from within ground improvement shaft
- Work hours are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (1455 Stockton):
- No impacts to traffic, transit or pedestrian walkways are anticipated
The parking lot at 1455 Stockton will remain closed