January 25-February 3, 2014
During the next 10 days, Central Subway work will continue at sites in SoMa, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This section contains brief updates about what is happening in each neighborhood. For more detailed information, scroll down or click on the links below. We also post construction, traffic detour and Muni impact information on our project Google Map.
Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): We plan to begin potholing for utilities on 4th Street between Bryant and King next week, on Monday, Jan. 27. Potholing will commence on the east side of 4th Street between Bryant and Bluxome, proceeding at other locations along the block over the coming months. More details are in the Southern SoMa section. At the tunnel launch box on 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant, tunneling continues with both TBMs.
Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): Construction will continue on 4th between Market and Stevenson next week and this weekend (Jan. 25-26) as the second TBM passes through the area. On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the road expected to reopen in February. At 4th and Folsom, work to prepare for the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station continues. Work may include demolishing the roadway within the construction zone to prepare to construct underground station walls. This work will be noisy.
Union Square: Stockton Street between Ellis and Geary is closed to vehicular traffic to allow for construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station. On Ellis Street, crews may work through the weekend to prepare for the crossing of the second TBM under Market Street. On Stockton Street, crews will work on Saturday installing barricades around the construction zone.
Chinatown: Work to prepare for the Chinatown Station continues within the future station site and on the adjacent section of Washington Street.
North Beach: Work on Columbus Avenue at Union Street will continue next week, Monday to Friday. Work will continue at 1455 Stockton and 1731-1741 Powell, within the property lines. At 1731-1741 Powell, construction may be in progress on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team
Powell Street from Union to Columbus
On private property at 1731-1741 Powell Street, the contractor is building a walled excavation known as a retrieval shaft at the site where tunneling will end. The two tunnel boring machines will be removed from the ground here. We plan to complete work at this location in 2014.
On private property at 1455 Stockton Street, the contractor is constructing an underground shaft to perform ground improvements when the TBMs pass below Columbus Avenue.
On Columbus Avenue near the intersection with Union Street, crews will be completing underground sewer work, starting next week. This work is expected to take approximately one month to complete.
Planned construction (1731-1741 Powell):
- Perform ground improvements
- Excavate retrieval shaft
- Construction hours are Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- This Saturday, Jan. 25, construction will be in progress from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (1731-1741 Powell):
- Several parking spaces may be closed in front of the property.
- The sidewalk in front of the property may be closed. A temporary walkway will be in place around the construction zone when the sidewalk is closed.
Planned construction (1455 Stockton):
- Install ground improvement components within ground improvement shaft
- Work hours are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (1455 Stockton):
- No impacts to traffic, transit or pedestrian walkways are anticipated
- The parking lot at 1455 Stockton will remain closed
Planned construction (Columbus and Union):
- Install new manhole at Columbus and Union
- Construction hours on Columbus are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (Columbus and Union):
- On Columbus between Union and Filbert, the left lane for northbound traffic will be closed during construction hours
- The northbound bus stop on Columbus at Union will remain open, but it will be temporarily relocated about 100 feet to the north during construction hours.